Thursday, May 13, 2010

#14: Cook 40 big breakfasts

The reason for this item on my list is that my mom recently mentioned the saying, "Eat like a king for breakfast, a lord for lunch, and a peasant for dinner," meaning that it's healthy to eat a lot to start your day, and less at the end. It's good for your metabolism. I have a really high metabolism, and I'd like to keep it that way. I try to eat snacks/more than three times a day. But lately I have been lazy about breakfasts (usually just a bagel), and Robert and I tend to make really big dinners. So I added this item to the list under health, to try to get in the habit of making bigger breakfasts! I'm not going to blog about every one, but this one was notable.

Big Breakfast #1: In Birmingham, near the cities I lived in in Southeast Michigan, there was a restaurant called The Original Pancake House, right on Woodward. I think they're a chain, but I haven't seen too many. My family would go there on occasional Sundays for brunch after church, or for dinner some times. (That's my mom and I at the OHOP when my brother and I were both in town a few years ago.) There was always a long line, out the door, but it was always worth it because we would always share "The Big Apple". It's a German baked apple pancake, so huge, and so delicious. We'd always share one between two people.





So, I tried my hand at making baked German apple pancakes this past weekend! It required some improvising once I realized that the recipe called for an oven-safe skillet and we don't have one. Instead I cooked the apples up, but then put them in two separate baking dishes before pouring on the batter and sticking them in the oven. That way Robert and I each got our own (square) pancake. And they were great! Next time I would maybe not use nutmeg, but if you like nutmeg, it's not too strong.


If you want to try your hand at these pancakes, the recipe can be found: here.

No comments:

Post a Comment