Thursday, February 24, 2011

#73: Read 30 books, Part III.

The third five books!




#11: ...And Then One Day by Ryan Clayton: comic book. Day to day life, but I love that stuff.




#12: All Aboard! How Ollie Tibbles Became a Train by Debi Tibbles: I borrowed this book from my friend Barbi on our winter visit to the U.P. (don't worry Barbi! I will send it back to you, when I get a little birthday something together for you) It's written by her co-worker at YMCA, about her son's struggle with a brain tumor, and how he got a train named after him! Very nice, touching story.



#13: Second Hand by Michael Zadoorian: This was a re-read of a book given to me years ago by Blair. I was itching for some fiction, which I don't have much of, and it was fun to re-read. When Blair gave it to me, she said it's about everything I love: junk/thrift/garage sales, Metro Detroit, animals/rescues and the Day of the Dead. Awwww, yeah.


#14: Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende: Allende is one of my favorite novelists. Before our trip to the U.P. I checked out two of her books, and I thought I would like the second one better, but I actually was more engrossed in this one. It follows the life of a mulatta slave in Saint Domingue/Haiti, right on the verge of the slave revolution, and her master/family then go to New Orleans, etc. etc. Very good read.


#15: Ines of my Soul by Isabel Allende: I was super excited about this book because the blurb says the main character falls in love with one of the right-had men of Francisco Pizarro, the conquistador who conquered the Inca. I'm a total dork for the Inca. But the majority of the story takes place in Chile, as her and her lover found Santiago and try to build a colony for the Emperor. It's a great portrayal of the clashes between the Spanish and the Mapuche, who were basically the only indigenous in South America who were never conquered by the Spanish, the ones that made flutes out of the Spanish's shin bones while they were still alive and made them play their own threnody. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment