Saturday, January 1, 2011

#7, #43, & #71.

#43: Go on 5 vacations. Vacation #4, 12.26.10-12.30.10, Robert, Chance and I went to Marquette (where we used to live until a year ago) to visit his Mom and friends, and I made a day trip down to Escanaba to see my friend Barbi. We stayed at the hotel I worked at for 2 1/2 years, and it was great getting to see my old co-workers, because they really were my friends and family when I lived there. We had a great time seeing Robert's mom and her boyfriend, and a few of Robert's friends. The dog really loved all the extra snow, and jumping around/climbing snow mountains, and he was such a good travel dog, very well behaved.

#71: Walk on the beach 20x: One morning I took Chance down to the shore of Lake Superior. He had a lot of fun exploring the lake, beach and rocks. We also jogged down the beach, thus knocking off another one from item #7: jog 20x.

Chance really loved playing on the beach, and I felt so happy to be there. Being back at Lake Superior, I just had this feeling that I was "home". I spent so much time on that beach the almost four years I lived in Marquette, and it was always where I was happiest, most at peace. It's where I went to reflect, write, called loved ones that lived far away, gain perspective. I miss it so much. Like Deb from the hotel said, "Lake Superior gets in your blood."



Ice along the shore. Lake Superior doesn't really start to freeze over until February or March. It's so large that it doesn't start to warm up in the summer until about August, and conversely, takes a long time to cool down, so it takes a long time to start freezing.



Frozen rocks and a view of the lighthouse at McCarty's Cove.



My cute little guy in his winter sweater. Love those big ears.



Pure beauty.

Rock island at McCarty's Cove (not the same ones pictured above). In summer of 2009 my mom and I waded out to these rocks, the water so cold our bones hurt. But the water line receded and a little land bridge allowed Chance and I to walk out to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment